Post-thesis life!

Kia ora,

So ... yeah ... it has been a while since I've posted anything on this blog (Apparently 304 days!)
 
But I'd like to think I have a reasonable excuse. After two long years, another life chapter recently drew to a close with the submission of my Master of Arts thesis for examination:





(OK, OK .... so it's actually a pretty poor excuse for 304 days of no blog posts!)


Anyway, after thesis submission came the somewhat terrifying realisation that I now need to find myself A JOB!!!

On that note - while I do have a few leads in mind, if anyone reading this happens to have an archaeology job going do feel free to get in touch!!!  :-D  (if only it were that easy!)

Around job hunting it's actually shaping up to be a pretty busy and exciting month ahead. After studying the archaeology of Papua New Guinea for the last three years I'll be heading over there in early June to participate in a two week excavation. More on this trip later.

Although I had to pay for my own flights to Papua New Guinea from New Zealand I am delighted to say I successfully applied for some funding to help with the cost from The Prehistoric Society, a British-based society that promotes the study of the prehistoric past worldwide.1

I'll get back to New Zealand a couple of days before the 2016 New Zealand Archaeological Association (NZAA) Conference. And if that sounds familiar, it may be because I talked about the 2015 NZAA conference in my last post 304 days ago!!!


Looking forward I hope that I'll have plenty to post about and reflect on as I make the transition from archaeology student to working archaeologist!

Fingers crossed anyway!  



Thanks for reading,

Nick


Footnote:

1 The prehistory of a given region is defined in archaeology as that period of the region's past which predates the written (historical) record. This is generally accepted within the discipline to be a non-value judgement of a period or its people. However, I acknowledge that the terms prehistory or 'prehistoric' can have different connotations outside of the discipline, an issue I've touched on in one of my first posts on this blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Importance of Context in Archaeology

Problems with Prehistory

Motupore Island Excavation 2016